Wednesday, 17 March 2010

A song from my chilhood

We used to sing and listen to each other a lot when we were kids, teenagers and students. It was a very popular pastime in the Soviet Union anyway. I've found recently one of these songs which we loved to sing with a guitar. I didn't know it was by Kipling, as it was translated into Russian. Here it is, The Song of The Dead, part II:

We have fed our sea for a thousand years 
And she calls us, still unfed, 
Though there's never a wave of all her waves 
But marks our English dead: 
We have strawed our best to the weed's unrest, 
To the shark and the sheering gull. 
If blood be the price of admiralty, 
Lord God, we ha' paid in full! 


Me & friends had an interesting childhood, I know...
Unfortunately I can't find spelling check on blogger any more, so, sorry if I start doing typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!