Wednesday, 13 May 2009

Freedom

Today when me and kids went to school, other kids told us that a little girl, the sister of one of the pupils, just has been hit by a landrower. A week or two ago there was this story on the news:

"Boy killed as car mounts pavementAn 11-year-old boy has died after a car mounted a pavement and crashed into a group of pedestrians in Bristol. The female driver of the white Ford Focus left the scene of the incident in Eastfield Road, Westbury-on-Trym, leaving the boy trapped underneath. A man was treated for minor injuries, while three other children at the scene were not injured."

I'm sure there are lots of stories like this, with the double horror of families loosing their loved ones and somebody accidentally becoming a murderer. Kids do behave silly and even experienced driver can loose the control sometime.

Perhaps not so tragic but still very worrying once was my ride along a small countryside road when an artists gave me a lift to a workshop. All the road was covered by killed rabbits, hedgehogs and foxes. I didn't really felt like admiring "scenic road".

I should admit, I do often dream how great it would be if I could afford a car and we all could go to exiting places and never fly again. A good friend of mine once told me that she was really happy that she had started driving: it gives such freedom! Yes, but at what price?

2 comments:

  1. the kids told me that the little girl fortunately was OK

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always more disturbing when things happen to people you know or friends of friends. Reading it in the paper provides us with some sort of shield from it all.

    I'm happy without a car and a drivers license but my sons have a scooter that I do borrow on occasion to get around a bit. I like the fact that I'm more in touch with the surroundings than in a car. ... and hitting something means that I'd be damaged too so I'm very careful when I'm driving it. Road kills are such a waste and they are so unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!