Friday, 3 April 2009

Little Shops

Its a pain to see many little shops closing down. We counted something like 17 last time in the center of Shrewsbury. Yet, I think, one of the reasons for this is their working hours.

Many mothers and fathers, like me, are probably doing their shopping just after taking the kids to school or just before picking them up. Yet lots of little shops are still closed in the morning. There are some without clearly indicated working hours on the window, and ones where the shopkeeper is almost always late... There is a very nice little gift shop in Newtown, Vanilla Rose, but its tricky to get inside. Few days ago I went here in the afternoon and there was a sticker saying on the door "back at 3". I did some shopping (looking for some presents for my relatives), went back... and found the same piece of paper saying now "back at 3.15". I couldn't wait any more and bought everything in another shop... Most shops do close early, even more true to say this about the market stalls - they owners already have packed half of their staff when I go shopping in the afternoon.

Also most of this little places don't accept card payments. Because of this lots of shoppers will be very careful not to pick up too much items. Its good for buyers but not so good for shop owners.

Anyway, I think last few decades have seen too many people buying things they don't really needed (like new clothes when old ones were still wearable, or new furniture when old one still was in one piece... yes!). It was unnatural. And I feel it is unrealistic to expect this to carry on forever. So, unfortunately, some shops (and factories) have to go for good.

2 comments:

  1. I do miss some of the small shops that we've had here. The wors part is that many of them were really concerned with environment and they were pushing for better options from local people. The big stores that's left goes for the cheaper but not environmentally friendly options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thats right. I hope our two healthy food shops survive.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!