Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Supermarket blues

Its looks like that there is going to be a Tesco in Newtown. Hurray! I know some people don't like supermarkets, but for a person with the family and no car, home delivery is the only way to have healthy affordable food. There is Iceland, of course, but it hardly ever have any healthy food, and never anything organic! Also I love online shopping and really hate off-line madness: being pushed by trolleys and baskets, and shouted at occasionally... In Nottingham we had a choice of Tesco, Sainsbury, Ocado, Asda & Iceland for home delivery plus local organic vegetable box. We went almost completely organic. So far from it now, despite being "close to the Nature"! There is one place - the Cwm Harry Land Trust:
http://www.cwmharrylandtrust.org.uk/
We had their smallest vegetable box last year but ended up a bit disappointed - with lots of brussel sprouts (half of the family don't eat them) and inedible green hard cabbage leaves. We were so busy trying to eat up the stuff we really hated...

Living in the Soviet Union, I thought angry shoppers were only typical for that side of the Iron Curtain - because of food shortage. How naive! Just a few days ago I've been to local Morrisons (hands full of bags & kids, people with trolleys rushing to the queue in front of us) and my son, being curious, vent standing next to cashier. An elderly gentleman in front immediately suggested that my child was going to steal his pin number!!! A child! I don't know, maybe his little grandson is like this, or maybe he has overheard me speaking with accent and decided to indulge in his xenophobia...

Anyway, once there is Tesco with its home delivery, there will be no need for all that.

3 comments:

  1. Grocery shopping is one of my pleasures. I could waste hours just wandering the aisles.

    (saw your blog on the Blog Update page and thought I would say hello!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Amy. I like searching and finding things including food and would always enjoyed shopping if I were alone in a shop and wouldn't need to pay on the exit wishing I wouldn't pick so much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm into "evening shopping" - when prices can fall up to 1 p. for anything.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!