Friday, 21 November 2008

I am who I am

Once I met an artist who liked my works, bought at least two of them and on one occasion offered me a lift home from an exhibition. So he went inside ( it was our old home), he's seen kids screaming and running everywhere, worn out cheap furniture, books scattered around, wallpaper badly needed to be changed and so on. And he said something like "to sell art you have to be respectful" (or was that "presentable"). Anyway it sounded that I was not. It really hurt. Well, I think I don't really live my life to sell art only. Even to do art only. Maybe there are artists, who have a professionally designed gallery instead of the home, a polished blog where they show themselves always positive, happy, concentrated, top class, witty, kind, clever and respectful, but I'm not even going to try doing that. I am just a person. Don't judge me too harsh. I can have my ups and downs. Some of my artwork and writing is successful, some is horrible, but I'm not going to hide this fact. People can buy my paintings without caring much for who I am - that's absolutely fine too. But I'm not going to pretend to be something I am not. Probably, I am wrong. Probably I should never have any blogs or "about me" pages. Just pictures. Or better - no pictures at all. Just let them rot in the attic. Or even not making them in the first place - rather doing something useful. Anyway...

3 comments:

  1. (sarcastically) And here I thought the golden standard for artists was to be somewhat mentally deranged. You know, like the saying "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist"?
    But in all seriousness, that man would then have discounted who in my opinion is one of The Greats, Vincent Van Gogh. He didn't always HAVE a house! He was "respectful" of virtually no one, and in person, about the least "presentable" person you'd ever meet. And yet he produced some of the greatest and still most-loved art of his era. It didn't necessarily sell well in his lifetime, but he didn't have the Internet. :)
    I LOVE your art, by the way. Ignore that man completely. I'm not an artist or an art student, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. It would be interesting to ask his opinion of "Starry Night" and see what he says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little story, I am a simple woodsman artist, a few years ago I studied theology and I was ordained a permanent Deacon in the Roman Catholic Church. A friend of mine said to me " I hope you will always be Stephen (the woodsman/artist) the Deacon and not Deacon Stephen. They were so right! I tried to fake it by thinking I was something special and gave up the woods. Big mistake! I became cranky and unlikable. So now I work on the farm and in the woods and continue to sketch. I do church work only two days a week. I am so much happier being myself..... praying in the woods and living as me! Sasha, using your talents and gifts and being yourself will be the best gift you can give yourself and your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!