Thursday, 20 November 2008

Fighting additives

An interesting site about natural living:
http://www.imperfectlynatural.com/index.php
I've read Janey Lee Grace book "Imperfectly Natural Woman" last year and in some respect it was an eye-opener, especially about unnatural fragrances and other additives. Well I think most people still don't suspect that if you can smell something - there is some substance in the air and it may be very bad for you. Natural essential oils are easy available, I think lavender (for headache and just very nice smell), Olbas (oil mix for blocked noses) and tea tree (for scratches, etc) are must have in any household. But people still use artificial perfume dispensers to mask perfectly natural cooking smells... Instead you can either open the window, or peel an orange, or boil a bit of apple with cinnamon. I sometime put some mandarin peel in the microwave or hot oven (just for few minutes).

Few years ago I bought a little packet of child juice drink (you know, that square type, with a straw) and found out it was full of artificial colourings. Why??? There is no way a child could see what color is his drink inside the carton.

Another thing which bothers me is additives (colorings, flavourings, even perfume) in medicines. Why again??? I'm an adult person and can swallow any bitter pill if really needed. Even kids at eight can. As our funny doctor said: stick it into his baked beans...

Saying all that, I still have lots of problems trying to feed my family healthy food. I don't have a strong will, and even small amount of nagging, moaning, screaming or frowning makes me give up. My son often points to me how much factory made food is better than mine. All those E numbers which enhance the flavour plus I'm not a very good cook... Well yesterday improvisational "curry" sauce was a success and I even was asked to make more of it:

Take 2 chopped onions, 2 garlic cloves, some fresh ginger, a teaspoon of
oil, a little bit of lime, cranberry and orange juice, plus a lot of your
favorite dry curry spices (e.g. coriander seed, chili, cinnamon, allspice, curry
leaves, black pepper and so on) and put with enough water in a food processor.
Process until smooth then gently boil for 5-10 min, adding creamed
coconut. Could be added to meat or vegetables when they are almost
ready.

1 comment:

  1. The results of animal studies link MSG to damaged nerve cells in the brains of infant mice. In humans, it can cause headaches, nausea, allergic reactions, eye inflammation, central nervous and vascular system problems, and brain edema. visit here

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!