Sunday, 16 November 2008

Current situation & frugal against my own will

I've read an interesting article by Dmitry Orlov

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/47157

It compares the collapse of the USSR (which I sort of experienced) with present economic situation. Frankly, I've already started to gradually increase amount of tinned and dry food in my storage, buying seeds of edible plants and reducing spending even more.

During the Soviet Union Collapse I was young and naive, lived with my mother and spent most time just dreaming. So I mostly missed it and I don't feel sorry for that. Now I did criticize the consumer culture living in the USA and UK for the last eight years but I feel a bit upset I didn't participated. We never went on a cheap holiday to a popular destination, visiting kids' grandparents instead. We never had flown by a cheap airline (they don't have flights between the destinations we need!). We never had a car. We were buying mostly second hand clothes. We never had thrown away something we didn't need anymore but still useful. Instead we were trying to sell it in our Ebay shop - to earn few pounds. I've been to hairdressers maybe 3 or 4 times during this period because that would cost too much and personally I don't like being interrogated about my life during my haircut. We never borrowed any money apart from mortgage which was unfortunately unavoidable. We had to switch heating on in our house only when it was really needed - to save money. We haven't been buying perennial flowers in big boxes from a plant nursery just to throw them away next season as I've seen many people (and councils) do. I've been trying make my own compost as I couldn't afford to buy some (once it did went really wrong :-). We didn't went much to restaurants. I had nobody to chat for hours on the telephone, mobile or not. We haven't been replacing old things with new unless we really had to. I've missed all that and it looks like its gone for good now...

That's very good, somebody might say. Yes, but it wasn't entirely my choice of lifestyle! Well I think all this happened because I didn't went out to work but stayed at home with my kids and my paintings. That was my choice... although I'd still love to have a Landrover Defender or a motocaravan to visit beautiful and exotic places (Gypsy blood), to have nice organic clothes for the family and to start my own large orchard. Hope dies the last.

Another thing I wanted to say - thank you very much to everybody who sent me kind comments during last few days (sorry for my English by the way). Now that I know that somebody is actually reading what I write - I'm really scarred...

PS. There is a long list of labels (topics, subjects) on the left, so if you want to read say about oil pastels only you can do this. I also have a nasty habit of rewriting old posts or adding something to them - sorry

2 comments:

  1. Sasha, to be a Mom is a very honourable thing that you will never regret, God will bless you for that. Nice to hear you are composting, remember to compost in layers. One layer of scraps from the table then a layer of straw or leaves then scraps then leaves etc.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, thank you. We haven't got much leaves or straw in the garden, unless I start to give the "regular haircut" to the pampa grass we inherited from previous owners.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!